Our website uses  cookies for statistical purposes.

  • Calle Villalar, 7, Bajo Izquierda, 28001 Madrid
  • clients(at)lawyersspain.eu
  • +34 938 074 056
Our Articles

Personnel Relocation to Spain

Personnel Relocation to Spain

Personnel relocation to Spain implies obtaining a specific visa, namely the intra-company transfer residency visa. This is a residence permit issued to skilled workers who are transferred within the same group of companies operating in various countries.

Below, our immigration lawyers in Spain explain the steps to obtain such a visa. Apart from employee relocation to Spain we also offer other services, based on the visa you need to obtain.

Personnel relocation to Spain – how to proceed

The Spanish company not the worker will start the application procedure. When the employee is still outside of Spain, the corporation will initiate the application process for this residence permit with the organization that oversees applications and processes for businesses, entrepreneurs, and highly qualified permits, the Unit for Large Companies and Strategic Sectors.

Employee relocation to Spain is also possible while the worker is in the country, however, he or she must have a valid tourist visa.

The worker will need to request a visa at the Spanish consulate or consulate after receiving a favorable decision (in most cases issued in 20 days), and he or she will get a stamp on her passport after 7 to 10 days. After arriving in Spain, the employee can get the residency card and the NIE number.

Feel free to address our immigration lawyer in Spain for support in applying for an intra-company transfer visa. We are also at your disposal if you want to immigrate to Spain from the USA.

Employment is one of the most typical routes to Spanish residency. Both citizens of the EU and individuals from other nations can choose this option. It should be noted that because there is no predetermined procedure to follow, getting residency as a citizen of an EU member state is simpler. On the other hand, you may rely on our immigration experts to help you obtain it.

You can also get assistance from our immigration law firm with the steps necessary to acquire a Spanish nomad visa. You can count on us for program information if you want to work remotely from Spain. If you have any queries concerning the specific requirements that must be satisfied before you can temporarily relocate here, don’t hesitate to email us.

Types of intra-company transfer visa for Spain

There are 2 types of visas that can be issued for employee transfers to Spain:

  • the residence permit for employees being transferred with the same group of EU companies;
  • the national residence visa for employee transfer.

Based on the first type of permit, the following categories of employees can be transferred:

  • and those that must participate in training exercises at the Spanish headquarters;
  • specialists who must relocate to Spain in order to contribute with their knowledge to the Spanish company;
  • executives managers who must relocate to the Spanish offices in order to take over a division or department.

The transfer period in these situations may run a maximum of one year for training and 3 years for the other two.

Under the second type of visa, it is possible to relocate employees in order to carry out and manage a working relationship or in situations where the other type of residence permit cannot be obtained. However, this type of intra-company transfer visa can also be used after the maximum period of stay under the first one has expired.

Having a residency permit in Spain is a great opportunity for many foreigners. However, there are certain disadvantages as well, such as the need for renewal every two years or the inability to work in any other EU country. The solution to it is to apply for Spanish citizenship. You may rely on our immigration attorneys in this regard.

Requirements for the company filing for employee relocation to Spain

Intra-company transfers to Spain imply for both the employee and employer meet certain requirements. In the case of the hiring company, here they are:

  • the average number of employees must be greater than 250 for at least 3 months before the application;
  • the company’s annual turnover must be over 50 million euros;
  • the company’s net worth must also be at least 43 million euros.

For the 3 years preceding personnel relocation to Spain, the average annual gross foreign investment cannot have been less than 1 million euros.

However, it is also possible for small and medium-sized businesses that are active in strategic industries to transfer employees to Spain.

You can rely on our immigration law firm in Spain for details on the requirements companies need to meet in order to transfer employees.

Advantages of employee relocation to Spain through the EU ICT visa

Personnel relocation to Spain is possible under EU directives that provide for key employees that can be transferred within the same group of companies.

One of the main benefits of this kind of Spanish intra-company transfer visa is that any foreign employee working at a company’s head office in any other EU nation may be transferred to Spain, or vice versa, if the employee is already in Spain, to any head office within the European Union. In other words, the right to move inside the EU is the primary benefit of this type of permit.

We are also at your disposal if you want to apply for residency in Spain through other means.

Requirements for employees being transferred to Spain

The majority of the conditions for workers to be transferred to Spain are based on their professional background, as well as other factors specific to the business. The following must be respected:

  • first of all, it must be shown that the company’s headquarters in Spain is operational and fully functional;
  • the company to which the employee is transferred in Spain must be a member of the same group as the worker’s previous employer’s original headquarters;
  • the transferred employee also needs to possess a higher degree (bachelor’s, master’s, or doctorate);
  • it is necessary to have at least 3 years of professional experience if the prior criterion is not met;
  • the individual must have been employed for at least 3 months by one or more of the group’s enterprises.

It is also necessary to show a certificate of clean criminal record. Last but not least, the transfer and the justifications for it must be accredited.

If you need support in employee transfer matters in Spain, do not hesitate to get in touch with our immigration specialists.

How long does it take to transfer personnel in Spain?

As already mentioned, the UGE is where all applications for employee relocation to Spain are submitted, however in this instance, the employer must complete the procedure.

There are 2 ways to go about doing that:

  1. submit all supporting papers to any government public registry;
  2. use the UGE website’s electronic platform to conduct it online.

Additionally, the process must start at least 90 days before traveling to Spain. However, if the worker is in a legal status (with a valid tourist visa), he or she may also apply for this residency once she has arrived in Spain.

Since a response is issued in about 20 to 30 days, the processing is fairly quick. After receiving a favorable response, the foreign national must submit a visa application at the Spanish consulate in her place of origin or skip this stage if she is already in Spain.

The length of time for each consulate varies, but because it has preferred processing, it typically takes 7 to 10 days to receive it. The foreign worker will have 30 days to come to Spain and enter the country with this visa. After that, he or she will be able to pick up her TIE or physical residence card at any immigration office.

If you are interested in exploring other options of working in this country, the Spanish nomad visa can be one. Get in touch with us for information on the conditions of the program.

Advantages of getting an ICT visa for Spain

Employee relocation to Spain comes with several advantages, among which the possibility of filing a combined application with one’s family members (spouse, civil partner, children who are dependent, and parents). Also, it comes with the option to travel to, reside in, and work in any state that is a member of the EU when getting the ICT-EU visa.

If you are interested in personnel relocation to Spain and need support in applying for one of these visas, you can contact us. Our immigration specialists are at your disposal.