Our website uses  cookies for statistical purposes.

  • Calle Villalar, 7, Bajo Izquierda, 28001 Madrid
  • clients(at)lawyersspain.eu
  • +34 938 074 056
Our Articles

Obtain a Spanish Work Permit

Obtain a Spanish Work Permit

Many individuals who wish to become employed in the country will need to obtain a Spanish work permit. This document is issued by the appropriate labor authorities and it applies to non-EU individuals who wish to work in the country.

Our Spain immigration experts can help you with all of the details about the process of obtaining this permit which must be applied for not by the worker but by the employer who wishes to hire a foreign individual. We can assist him/her in applying for a residence permit in Spain.

When a work permit is necessary

The work permit in Spain is needed by individuals outside of the EU who wish to come and work in Madrid, Barcelona as well as anywhere else on the territory of the country. EU-member state residents, as well as those individuals from Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Switzerland, are not required to apply for this permit.

The work and residence permit will be required by all other nationals who are interested in working in the country or in Spain immigration and it is applied for by the employer. When the individual receives this document, he/she can apply for the work visa. The deadline for the visa application is one month from the receipt of the permit. 

Our immigration lawyers in Spain can help answer any specific questions you might have about the conditions of working in the country. If necessary, we also offer support in Spanish citizenship applications.

For many foreigners, having a residency permit in Spain is a fantastic opportunity. But it also has drawbacks, such as the requirement for renewal every two years or the inability to work in any other EU nation. However, the answer to that is to apply for citizenship in Spain. In this sense, you can rely on our immigration lawyers.

You can also rely on us for guidance in applying for a golden visa in Spain.

We can also assist those who want to apply for a family reunification visa in Spain

One of the easiest ways to relocate to Spain is the nomad visa, which was created in compliance with a recently introduced law. Remote employees will be able to move here with the help of this visa without having to apply for a regular residence permit. If you decide to apply for it, please get in touch with our immigration specialists who can help you.

How to apply for the work permit

The steps below are the main ones that need to be fulfilled in order to obtain a work permit in Spain:

  • submission to the Immigration Office: this is handled by the employer who must notify the intention to hire a foreign employee.
  • fill in the application form: each individual must fill in the application form for a national visa, must be signed in person by the applicant.
  • provide identification details: a recent photograph, passport size and with a white background will be needed.
  • personal documents: passport copy, including photocopies if specified, must be valid for at least one year after the application.

Other documents, like a certificate of no criminal conviction and a medical certificate, may be needed. One of our agents who specialize in Spain immigration can help you with information about sector-specific requirements. The work permit can also lead to residency in Spain.

In order to qualify for residency in Spain a person must live here for a determined period of time. After 5 years of consecutive living, they are eligible to apply for permanent residency. If you wish to move to Spain and need help applying for a residence permit, you can count on us. We are at your service, no matter the immigration pathway you decide on.

If you would like to know more about emigrating to Spain, please do not hesitate to contact us.  Also, in case you are interested in obtaining a Spanish golden visa, we are at your disposal. You can count on us when applying for a residence permit in Spain.

You can also obtain assistance from our immigration law firm, which can help you complete the steps required to get a nomad visa in Spain. You may count on us for information regarding the program if you want to work remotely from Spain. Do not hesitate to send us your enquiries via email for complete details of the requirements you need to meet in order to relocate here temporarily.