Our website uses  cookies for statistical purposes.

  • Calle Villalar, 7, Bajo Izquierda, 28001 Madrid
  • clients(at)lawyersspain.eu
  • +34 938 074 056
Our Articles

Types of Visas in Spain

Types of Visas in Spain

There are several types of visas in Spain that allow the holders to stay in the country for long periods of time, according to their selected purpose. This can be for employment or study purposes, for entrepreneurs or those who are looking to relocate to the country for retirement, should they be able to prove that they can sustain themselves.

Visa applications are filled in by the applicant or his/her duly accredited representative in special cases. Those who are interested in Spain immigration should decide on the purpose of the stay and secure the details of the employment, for example, before they travel in the country, as they will need to have a valid visa for the long stay. The application is submitted with the Embassy or Consular Office in the applicant’s country of residence and an application fee will apply.

Submitting the visa application and duly filling it in as well as providing all of the corresponding documents are essential for the processing of the file and approval from the authorities. Individuals who are interested in emigrating to Spain can reach out to our team of agents who specialize in long-term visas as well as the subsequent processes, once the immigrant arrives in the country.

The visa requirements for Spain apply according to nationality. This is why it is recommended to consult the applicable conditions for longer stays according to the country of origin. Below, we present the types of visas in Spain and detail the requirements for some of these. For more information, as well as advice, individuals can reach out to our agents. We can also help you apply for a residence permit in Spain.

Long-term visas in Spain

The requirements for submitting the visa applications depend on the selected type of permit, as well as the particular situation of the applicant. It is recommended to consult the requirements before commencing the process and for this purpose, the applicant can contact the Embassy or Consulate as well as one of our agents who specialize in Spain immigration.

Foreign nationals who wish to stay in Spain for more than 90 days in six months and are not EU member state nationals or nationals from Norway, Iceland, Switzerland or Liechtenstein need to obtain a long-term visa. The types of long-term visas are the following:

  • Work visa: allows the holder to engage in remunerated work and reside in the country.
  • Student visa: for students who are admitted to a Spanish University or other types of educational courses.
  • Non-lucrative visa: for applicants who will not work or engage in any form of professional/remunerated activity.
  • Investment visa: for those who invest in a business in Spain as well as for those who invest in real estate, according to certain conditions.  If you’ve had continuous legal residence in Spain for a certain period of time, you can become a Spanish citizen through a process known as naturalization. All foreigners who have lived in the country for a sufficient period of time are granted this status. Your residence permit allows you to enter Spain, renew it as necessary, and then apply for citizenship in Spain.
  • Other: included here are visas for medical purposes, for cultural, sports or film purposes as well as for members of official delegations.

The long-term visa application is accompanied by a specific set of documents, according to the purpose of the stay. One of our Spain immigration agents can give you more information on the current requirements for each visa type. This is also a way to obtain a residence permit in Spain. 

We can also guide you through applying for a Spanish golden visa.

What are the requirements for the work visa in Spain?

An individual can obtain a visa for Spain that is a residence visa if they become employed in the country, if they are highly qualified professionals or researchers as well as for intra-company moves.

Emigrating to Spain via a work visa is often the choice of many individuals. The basic steps are the following:

  • Apply for a job: the applicant must have an offer from a Spanish employer, according to his qualifications.
  • Obtain the temporary work authorization: this is issued from the local labor and immigration authorities in the area where he will be employed.
  • Apply for a visa: this is done with the Spanish Consulate or Embassy in the applicant’s country of origin.
  • Pay the fee: a non-refundable fee is applicable when making the submission for the work visa.
  • Prepare the documents: these are photographs, passport copies, medical certificate, criminal record, and others.

Our immigration attorney can provide specialist guidance for persons who need to travel to Spain for longer periods of time, including through the new nomad visa. The paperwork that needs to be prepared and submitted months in advance can be completed by our lawyers. Upon completion of the paperwork, you can use your nomad visa in Spain to move and work from here.

We can also help you apply for Spanish citizenship if you decide to permanently relocate here.

How can one apply for an entrepreneur visa in Spain?

The visas for entrepreneurs are residence visas and are awarded for the following purposes:

  • capital investments;
  • real estate investments with a minimum amount;
  • entrepreneurs or entrepreneurial activities.

One of our Spain immigration agents can give you more details about the minimum investment amounts and other information on how to apply for the visa, once you have the proof of the accepted investment. This visa can lead to Spanish citizenship.

Contact us for complete details on the requirements for the different types of visas in Spain.